The training program for the house with a barbell and dial-up dumbbells practically does not differ from the complex for the gym. Any simulator can be replaced by a more functional movement with free weights. To do this, you need to understand which muscle works in the exercise, and find the appropriate replacement for the simulator.
Not everyone in the apartment has a gym with a barbell, racks, a dumbbell row, customizable benches and an unlimited set of pancakes. Most people who work at home are limited to typesetting dumbbells, a fitball, a horizontal bar and an expander. This is enough if you correctly draw up a program.
Features of home training
To begin with, it is important to understand that the apartment is not a gym. There is no trainer who will control the technique. You will have to learn how to correctly perform the exercises yourself - from the video on youtube and opposite the mirror. Before you start doing squats or traction for King, work out the technique with a simple wooden or plastic stick, and then ask someone from your home to record you on the video (the calorizer). Compare this video with the training video. Pay attention to the presence of natural deflection in the lumbar region, the correct starting position, knee movement, distribution of the center of gravity.
Recommendations for home strength training:
- Always warm up - use the warm-up complex from the introductory program.
- Exercise your whole body muscles at a time or use two-day splits - the more intense your workout, the higher your body’s metabolic response to it.
- Use dumbbells of different weights - your muscles have different sizes and have different strengths, so the load on them should also be different.
- With a limited set of free weights, progressing in strength will not work. The body quickly gets used to the load, so it needs to be changed. You can increase the number of repetitions, complicate movements, use methods to increase intensity.
- Focus on big exercises - 70% of the training session should be occupied by energy-intensive multi-joint movements, the remaining 30% should be single-joint.
- Keep the number of repetitions in the range of 6-20 times per set.
- Finish stretching your working muscles.
Cardio training in the home program is better to transfer to another day. Doing aerobics after a power house is not as convenient as in the gym. However, if there are no contraindications, a short interval cardio can be done.
For independent studies
The application has a large list of exercises with gifs. You can search by name (application in English), apply filters by loaded muscles and equipment, add to favorites. If you did not find the desired exercise, you can add your own.
It is very convenient to compose your program. Indicate the day, add exercises, edit the number of approaches and repetitions, set the time for rest.
Already in the process of training, you can quickly change the weight and number of repetitions, finish the approach and turn on the rest timer with a countdown.
Workouts completed are displayed on the calendar.
How to replace the simulators?
Any simulator can be replaced if you do not have contraindications. When choosing exercises, always consider how they suit you.
Replacements of the most popular exercise machines:
- Pull-ups in a gravitron - pull-ups on a horizontal bar with a shock absorber,
- The pull of the horizontal block is the draft of the dumbbells in the slope (change the grip to work the muscles at different angles), the draft of one dumbbell in the slope,
- Squats in Smith - dumbbell squats
- Hyperextension - hyperextension on the floor, hyperextension on the ball,
- Shin bending in the simulator - bending the legs with a dumbbell,
- Leg press - various types of squats with dumbbells.
To find a suitable replacement, you need to understand how the muscle that you want to give the load works. For example, the latissimus dorsi muscles work in vertical (from above) and horizontal (to oneself) traction. The horizontal bar is not a mandatory inventory, you can do with dumbbells.
Without methods of increasing intensity in home training can not do. With them, your body will receive the necessary metabolic stress. These are supersets, dvusets, trisets, hybrid movements, interval and circular approaches.
Superset - combining exercises for opposing muscles in one approach. For example, lunges in place and bench press. That is, having lunges, you do not rest, but immediately do a bench press while sitting. Only after this, relax, and then repeat the superset again.
Twoset - combining exercises for one muscle group in one approach. For example, push-ups from the floor and mixing dumbbells lying. It is carried out similarly to a superset.
Triset - combining three exercises for different muscle groups in one approach. For example, squats with dumbbells, a bench press and draft of dumbbells in an inclination.
Hybrid movements - two exercises are combined not in an approach, but in one movement. For example, a squat with dumbbells and a bench press - you squat, holding the dumbbells at chest level, and then stand up and squeeze them up while standing. Hybrids are often used by Gillian Michaels in their programs. A good example is the program No more trouble zones, almost completely built on them.
Interval approaches - combining in a superset of a heavy and lighter exercise. For example, 5 repetitions of burpee (burpie) with push-ups from the floor and 10 swings with a dumbbell.
Circular training has not surprised anyone for a long time - performing exercises without rest is considered the simplest method of building a fat-burning workout.
We make a training program for the home
If you read the article "How to create a training program for the gym," then you know the basic rules for writing a set of exercises. First, select a split - for example, this time let it be the bench press / traction. Then we determine the number of exercises (6-8), the number of sets and repetitions, choose methods of increasing intensity (superset, hybrids).
1. Squats and bench press dumbbell up 4 × 10
2a. Lunges in place with 3 × 12 dumbbells on each side
2b. Push-ups / from knees 3 × 12
3a. Squat Plie 3 × 15
3b. Dumbbell lifts through the sides 3 × 15
4a. 3 × 15 Dumbbell Shin Flexion
4b. Flattening dumbbells lying 3 × 15
1. Romanian traction with dumbbells 4 × 10
2a. 3 × 12 torso dumbbell bar
2b. Hyperextension on the floor / on the ball 3 × 12
3a. Deadlift of one dumbbell in an inclination 3 × 15
3b. Gluteal bridge with one leg 3 × 15
4. Twisting lying 3 × 15
5. The bar - 60 sec
Please note that the most technically challenging exercises go first and are unpaired. The more complex the movement, the closer to the beginning one should stand (calorizator). We got a rather complicated home complex. If you are a beginner, then at first you can not use any methods of increasing intensity - do the exercises consistently and work on mastering the correct technique.
Composing a training for a beginner by a trainer
Maybe someone else does not know, but for each newcomer, trainers create approximately the same plans with minor adjustments. Usually these are basic exercises and a couple of isolating ones (which exercises are basic, and which are isolating, read here). At first glance, this seems like the wrong approach, because the program should be individual, but you need to understand one important point.
The ideal strategy for action can not immediately be drawn up by the trainers! Therefore, it turns out the situation with the standard program, which will be the same as for all other beginners. The trainer must independently determine the athlete’s training level and adjust his goals, and after a short interval, the trainer makes an individual training, taking into account all the characteristics of the athlete’s body. As a result, after these words, any stable strategy is better at first than its complete absence.
How often to go to training?
From the very beginning, any athlete asks this question, but to choose the optimal number of workouts per week, several factors must be taken into account:
1. What muscle groups will be involved.
All muscle groups can be divided into two categories:
- small (calves, deltas, triceps, biceps),
- large (chest, back, legs).
Remember that if the training was for large muscles, then they will need a day longer break to recover than a group of small muscles.
2. Current degree of training. If you train for a long time, then the body is adapted to the loads and the muscles recover in a shorter time. Also, muscles of small volumes recover faster.
3. The amount of training. It should be taken into account necessarily. If the training was long and hard, then the body received a tremendous load. This means that a full recovery will take a lot of time. Do not forget about supercompensation and learn to determine when the body is ready for stress again.
Of course, each trainer has his own view on the necessary intervals between training sessions. But most of them are inclined to believe that a beginner can visit the gym for the first time often, but getting small loads. This solution allows you to gradually adapt to the loads and increase the efficiency of training. Another side of this solution is that the beginner’s muscles are still not very voluminous, which means they recover faster than the bulk fibers of a professional.
When designing a program, keep in mind that on average, for beginner athletes, each muscle group is fully restored in 2-4 days.
The correct split or what and with what to train
To begin with, there are types of workouts in which the entire body receives approximately the same load, and there are workouts in which muscle groups train on different days. These workouts are called split.
In general, the word split with exact translation means “split”, in relation to training, this means a method that allows each muscle to be worked out separately.
The application of each technique for compiling a program can be roughly divided into two categories:
- a beginner in training is recommended to work on the whole body.
- to an experienced athlete, in order to have time to load each muscle efficiently, it is better to do more workouts per week, and pay attention to different muscles on each.
Why so? And all just because of the training of the body, the more it is - the more time will be required for the full load of all parts of the body. For a thin teenager, doing an entire body workout at a time is 3 workouts per week. And in order for a professional to work out each muscle well in one training, he will have to train for a very long time! Exit - split.
Most often, the training split option is chosen - 3 days a week. When forming individual splits, it is important to consider the recovery time of individual muscle groups, as well as the indirect load on other muscles when training a separate group.
If you do not take into account that while training one muscle the others are indirectly involved, the effectiveness will drop significantly, because the recovery period will decrease, and the body will simply not completely rest. Yes, and there are muscles that require a greater load to obtain a result, so now it is important to learn about existing groups and their features.
In addition to dividing muscles into large-small, there is another classification:
- pushing muscles (deltas, chest, triceps),
- pulling muscles (legs, back, biceps).
To understand the meaning of this separation, you need to consider an example. First in the program is training the biceps, and then the back. This is a failed strategy, since both exercises fall on the pulling group, in addition, the biceps are weaker than the back, as a result of the back exercise, you won’t be able to do it correctly, because the biceps involved in the back exercises are already tired. Therefore, in this example, you need to fix the training and first load the back and then move on to the biceps.
Important: you always need to start training with a large muscle group, after which you can switch to a smaller group. For example, it will be right to load the chest first, and behind it the triceps, or back, and then the biceps.
How to combine muscle groups in one workout
If you are doing a split workout, it is not recommended to load several large muscle groups with one workout! The best option would be to engage one large and a number of small groups.
A bad example would be training right back and legs. Firstly, this is a high load, which will not allow you to give your best in every exercise - you simply do not have enough strength for this! And secondly, the load on the circulatory system (on the heart in particular) will be enormous. The muscles are large, require a supply of nutrients, and are located at a considerable distance.
The exception is training on antagonist muscles - the so-called pair of muscles performing opposite movements. For example, the biceps bend the arm, and the triceps - extends, the chest push the arms, and the widest backs pull. Therefore, training them together is a great option, especially since they will be involved in any case. As an example, biceps flexions passively engage triceps, which are stretched and ready to load. Exercise on antagonist muscles in one workout enhances the effect of pumping.
Separately, you need to touch the legs, because this group stands out among all the others. In the human body, the legs are the largest and strongest muscle group, so when using splits, it is better to allocate a separate day. Consider the best options for splits:
3 days a week (best option)
5 day (advanced)
After applying these splits, you still need to figure out the optimal rest. Everything is relatively simple here, if there are no results, then either training is frequent, or vice versa - breaks are too long. Therefore, if you get the feeling that you need an additional day of rest - it is better to do it than once again load the muscles that have not rested yet.
What is the sequence of exercises
You need to choose a split based on your goal. If the main goal is mass gain, then isolating exercises must be forgotten. Only the base is used - exercises in which several muscle groups are involved. Therefore, when gaining mass, you need to go past all the simulators, they are not intended for this purpose.
If you are a thin guy who just started going to the gym, then you have a direct path to the dumbbells and barbell (free weights), it is with them that the main time of training should go.
When mass gaining, the sequence also simply looks, which implies during the training, first complex exercises, and in the end, light ones. You need to start with an exercise where the maximum number of joints is involved (base), and end with isolating ones.
As an example, when training the pectoral muscles, you need to start with the bench press, and end on the crossover or wiring with dumbbells, which are related to formative exercises. When training legs, it is important to start with the squat, and only then proceed to the extensions on the simulator.
Important! In training to gain weight, be sure to follow the rule: from difficult to easy: from basic exercises to isolating ones.
Drawing up a workout
Starting to draw up a training program, it is important to consider the following criteria:
- load (as a percentage of your maximum) - it is important to determine the weight that will allow you to correctly perform the exercises.
- the number of sets / approaches in each exercise - to gain mass in the approach you need to do 6-10 repetitions, and strength will require no more than 5.
- pace of exercises (speed) - approaches can be performed quickly, but more often they are concentrated on a particular phase (raising / lowering)
- training duration - if you do not use steroids, then the training should last a maximum of 1 hour. And all because such loads are stress for the body, which causes the release of catabolics into the blood. If this stress lasts over time, then the body will recover for a long time, due to a decrease in the volume of anabolics produced by the body (the same testosterone).
- rest until the next approach - no need to relax in the gym, stretching the rest. You can relax for a maximum of 2 minutes, but generally only 1 minute is recommended. This will allow you to do completely 5-6 exercises with an average weight in the allotted hour. You can rest for more than 3 minutes only with powerlifting (building strength).
The importance of warming up with hitching
If warming up at least some attention is paid more often, then many people forget about the warming up, simply leaving for a shower or gym at the end of the entire workout. But both of these actions are important, which allow you to get the maximum effect.
Work on the cardio simulator for several minutes to warm up the body, and do a general warm-up and stretching. Before each basic (difficult) exercise, do a lightweight approach.
Уже после тренировки важно сделать заминку, чтобы привести организм в нормальное состояние, а также чтобы запустить процесс восстановления. The hitch takes up to 10 minutes and consists in any aerobic load that goes into muscle stretching (treadmill, and then stretching). This will return the body to a normal state, and even out the pulse.
Bodybuilding and the eternal issue of nutrition
A beginner bodybuilder comes to the gym with confidence that the result can only be achieved with the help of pharmacology and the constant use of sports nutrition. But this is far from reality, because any supplements only supplement the normal diet, as the name suggests. It is important to understand that sports nutrition is an addition to regular food, but not chemistry. Sports nutrition is distinguished only by the convenience of preparation and use, and the supplements themselves are divided into several types:
All these types of sports nutrition perform various functions. You don’t need to cheat yourself immediately, that nothing will work without additives, it is important to read the necessary articles and you can get a good result without resorting to buying a sports meal. But with sports nutrition it will still be easier.)
Additional nuances of effective training
If you are determined to go to the gym, and the decision to gain weight or get strong muscles is serious, then it is important to follow these rules:
- Strict adherence to the daily routine along with diet. If the training is organized with high quality, but the nutrition remains the same and inferior - there will be no result. And all because most of the success depends on proper nutrition, especially in such an activity as bodybuilding. Therefore, it is important to immediately adjust the diet and mode, choosing the best options for a particular type of training. Only this will create conditions for active muscle growth. It is recommended to sleep at least 7 hours a day, and also to avoid stress.
- Periodic change of program. Training plans are designed for a specific time (usually 2-6 months). This is due to the adaptation of the body to loads, which reduces the effectiveness of training to zero. To continue to develop, you need to change both individual exercises and the program completely. One option is to switch from bodybuilding to powerlifting, and then back again.
- Tracking dynamics. It is important in the process to always keep track of the results, recording them in a diary. Only the fact of progress, which can be expressed in an increase in weights or an external change, indicates the correctness of the chosen strategy. If the program does not advance towards the goal, it means that it is incorrect and you need to think about a new plan.