This Photoshop tutorial shows how to add text to a picture so that it looks like part of a photo.
After reading this article, you will learn:
- How to add text to a photo,
- How to warp text,
- How to use blending modes to give a realistic effect
- How to add depth to text using layer styles.
I am going to show you how to place text on a barrel so that it looks so realistic.
Create and colorize text
Open the photo (or image) that you will use:
Let's choose a color. When adding text to the picture, we will use the color from the photo. Open the "Color Picker", using the "Eyedropper" select a dark tree on the barrel:
Select the Text tool. I am using the compressed Bernard MT Condensed font.
I am going to type “PHOTOSHOP CAFE” and drag the label onto the barrel:
The fastest way to resize text is to press Ctrl-T (or Command T on a Mac), hold down the Shift key, and then stretch the text to fit the barrel proportions:
Making the text flow
Before adding text to a picture in Photoshop, right-click on a text layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterize Text. This action converts the text into pixels so that we can distort them:
Press Ctrl / Cmd -T to invoke the Free Transform command. Right-click and select the Warp tool. It works great on rounded surfaces:
Pull the edges to make it look like the letters follow the outline of a barrel. Tip: using the Warp tool, you can click on points or stretch an object inside the grid:
First you need to figure out how to insert text in Photoshop. After that, you can already do something with him.
- Create a new drawing. Or open the picture to which you want to add a caption.
- In the left panel, find the button in the form of a capital letter "T". If you hover over it, a pop-up prompt “Horizontal” or “Vertical” will appear.
- Right click on it. Select the direction of the inscription.
- Click on the place where you want to add characters. Or select the area in which they should be located.
- You should write what you need.
- If you clicked in an arbitrary place, the borders of the text will “stretch” as you type. You can wrap lines by pressing Enter. If you select an area, you have to manually resize the frame.
- To expand the printable area, drag the markers on this border with the mouse. They will be active if the “T” button is pressed.
- To move a block with text, click on the icon in the form of a black cursor and a crosshair. It is located on the left panel. Usually at the very top. After that, just drag the object. This is similar to moving shortcuts in Windows.
You can do something with any object only if the layer on which it is selected is selected. A list of all layers is displayed in the lower right. To work with one of them, click on the appropriate item.
The last thing you need to do to add beautiful text to the picture is to apply a texture to the text. To do this, we will change the Blend Mode.
At the top of the Layers panel you will see the word “normal”, this is the layer blending mode. Change the mode to Overlap. Everything looks pretty good - now you can see the texture of the tree, peering through the text, and the inscription no longer looks, as if it just stuck:
Now we will give the text a little roughness.
Before adding text to the picture in Photoshop, create a mask layer on the text layer by selecting “Text layer” and clicking on the “Layer mask” button in the “Layers” panel (a rectangular icon with a circle inside):
We will use a rough brush. If you look at the top panel of options, you will find a brush in the upper left corner. Click on it. You will see a gear panel. Click on the icon.
Now you can load various types of brushes from the list that appears. Here you will find dry middle brushes, select them:
Choose a brush with rough edges. When you paint in black on the mask, you lightly stroke these edges to create a more shabby look:
Giving the text a 3D effect
There is one more thing when adding text to the picture, which can be done so that the inscription looks scorched and acquires a small depth, as if using a hot brand or something like this.
With the text layer selected, click on the small “fx” at the bottom of the “Layers” panel to add a layer style. Select the Inner Shadow layer style. Set the “Opacity” parameter to 100 and slightly increase the “Offset”, and you will see that the inscription becomes a little voluminous.
Change the value of "Angle", and you will see how the inscription begins to press into the tree:
This publication is a translation of the article “HOW TO BLEND TEXT INTO A PHOTO REALISTICALLY IN ADOBE PHOTOSHOP TUTORIAL”, prepared by the friendly team of the Internet technology project
Photoshop CS6 has tools for editing labels. You can choose a beautiful font, style, size, color, alignment. Settings will appear on the top panel if you select a layer with letters and press "T".
- To change the calligraphy, click on the drop-down list in the upper left. All fonts that you have on your computer will appear. Next to the name is an example of how the signs will look. You can download new character sets if there are not enough predefined ones. They need to be inserted into the Fonts folder, which you can enter through Start - Control Panel. And the next time you start Photoshop, they will appear in the list. Calligraphy is in .TTF or .OTF format.
- To change the hue of the characters, select them and click on the rectangle at the top. It is the same color as the text. This button opens the palette. You can set the hue manually by moving the slider on the scale and adjusting the brightness. You can enter the parameters as numbers. And you can immediately write the name of the color, if you know it. It looks like a code of numbers and Latin characters. To emphasize the inscription, create a stroke of a different shade.
- To flip a line, click neither the icon in the form of the letter "T" with small arrows. She is also upstairs.
- The size is set in the drop-down list in which numbers with the subscript “pt” are displayed (this parameter is measured in pixels or points - abbreviated “pt”).
- To line up, use the “Shutdown on the left”, “Shutdown on the right”, “Shutdown in the center” buttons. This is an analogue of the options “Align left”, “Align right”.
- To change the style, select a fragment of the inscription and right-click on it. In the context menu there will be the items "Pseudo-Bold" and "Pseudocursive".
- There you can adjust the smoothing: clear, rich, smooth, hard.
To apply the changes, click on the checkmark in the top panel. To return to the original formatting - on the crossed out circle.
Similar options are available in almost any word processor. They are not enough to create designer inscriptions. However, this is the basis without which it is impossible to work with symbols. There are other tools in Photoshop. It's time to figure out how to make beautiful text in Photoshop CS6.
There is a “Warp” button on the top panel. It is displayed as a curved letter “T” and a semicircle. You can go to the same setting by right-clicking on the name of the layer. In the pop-up menu there will be a line “Deform text”.
In the window that opens, in the "Style" field, select how the line should be displayed: arc, arch, wave, fish, bubble. So you can do an extraordinary design.
The most complex and varied menu is “Effects”. In it you can set a huge number of parameters. Detailed settings - even minor details are available. Web designers using these options create unique and amazing creations.
We show the possibilities of effects on a specific example. Here's how to stroke text in Photoshop CS6:
- Click on the layer with the inscription right-click.
- Select Overlay Options.
- In the list on the left, find “Create Stroke” or something similar. Click on it and mark it with a marker.
- There you can set the hue of the frame, width, position (outside, inside, from the center), transparency, blending mode.
- To change the invoice, click on the "Type" list. There will be a choice between “Color”, “Gradient” and “Pattern”.
- Gradient is a few shades. The image with it goes from one color to another. That is, in one part of the picture there will be saturated blue, in the other - light purple. You can even draw a stroke in the form of a rainbow.
- A pattern is a texture. Go to this point - an example of a picture will appear. Click on the arrow next to it, pointing down - there will be a choice between different images. In the menu that appears, click on another arrow pointing sideways. A menu opens in which you can select sets of styles - each has its own collection of textures. New patterns are available for download - they must be in .PAT format.
Writing a proposal and adding a frame to it is the easiest. In the effects menu, you can impose a gradient and a pattern on the text itself, add gloss, embossing, lighting, shadow to it. Each function has many internal parameters. For example, in the “Shadow” section there is size, tilt angle, displacement, and even the effect of noise (similar to a television ripple).
You can experiment with the settings. When you change an option, the result is immediately displayed in the picture. The utility has a list of ready-made effects. It is located in the Styles tab. All parameters are already set in them.
Professional designers and artists work with several layers at once. For example, they copy the inscription, make it transparent, add lighting and impose it on the original letters. Then they duplicate again, use other attributes, and again place them on top of the previous characters. It turns out a multilayer structure. Effects are combined.
You can write beautiful text in a different way. Create volumetric shapes from it.
- Select a layer. Do not select the area with the text.
- Click on “3D” in the menu bar.
- If you have any model in the form of a 3D file, you can download it and use it.
- To make a three-dimensional object out of the inscription itself, hover over the “New grid from grayscale”. This menu has a very meager selection of features.
- The New Outline From Layer option converts the entire layer. It folds into a figure, like a sheet of paper. There are many objects in this section: pyramid, cone, cylinder, ball, cube and the like.
To create 3D text, it is better to use the effects menu. You can change the lighting, add shadows - and the resulting inscription will look believable and natural. Among the ready-made styles, there are also voluminous ones.
Text effects can be downloaded from the network. With them you can make an amazing inscription without any effort. Creating it from scratch is undoubtedly more interesting. And the end result is exactly what you need. But suddenly, one of the existing designs will suit you.
Neon signs, reflections, letters from ribbons, metal, wood, sand and even ice cream. Simply enter “Text Effects for Photoshop CS6” in any search engine and browse through several sites. Perhaps the desired font has already been created by someone, and you do not need to make it yourself.
Styles are distributed in .psd files (they are often packaged in RAR or ZIP archives). This is not an add-in or plugin, but images that can be edited. There all the necessary colors and effects are already configured. Just open the picture in Photoshop and paste your text. Copy and add it to other pictures.
Some styles may use fonts that you don’t have. Before loading an effect, check whether the file with the desired calligraphy comes with it. Or look at the character set there (if this information is in the description) and set it in advance.
If you do not want to look for additional fonts, but you liked the style, you can safely download it. When you open the file, Photoshop will warn that its database does not have the necessary calligraphy, and will replace it with your own. Then select any character set from those that are already in the program.
You can understand how to write text in Photoshop and edit it. However, the utility has a wide variety of textures, styles, effects, numerical parameters, which are easily confused. It takes time to study the program and remember all its functions. But everyone can make an interesting and unusual signature. You do not need to thoroughly understand Photoshop. Ready-made styles are also available on the net. The effects are already arranged in them. Just enter your text.